Friday, September 27, 2013

The Best Things in Life are Free

Lists…aren’t they wonderful.  I have to-do lists, grocery lists, packing lists for anywhere I’ve ever gone and would like to go (beach, camping, weekend at grandma’s, one of those little bungalow’s in Bali over the water with the thatched roof, the clear glass floor, the bed with the mosquito thingy around it…you know the one J), honey-do lists and the lists go on and on.  Maybe I’ll write more about lists another day…but my point is…my life would not function without lists.

I thought no way to better kick off my blog than with my happiness list - the simplified version.
  1. My Boys (Dallas, 6 and Gavin, 4)
  2. My Mom (June aka NeNe)
  3. My Health                                          
The best things in life are free!  When applied to my life, this saying is incredibly true.  When I think about what makes me happy, it is about my relationships with others and my relationship with myself.  (Lists are free too!)  Throughout my life I’ve resisted the endless quest for happiness that is just out of reach; the thought that happiness will be skipping around the corner alongside a promotion, a bigger house, a newer car or any other shiny thing.  Two things are innately wrong with this thought for me.  The first is, as the title of my blog suggests, happiness is a pursuit.  Happiness doesn’t just show up at your doorstep and stay forever.  Happiness takes work, dedication, consistency, motivation and is a constant work in progress.  The second is, true and lasting happiness is not found in objects, this happiness is fleeting and more than likely you will never reach a stable happy place because you will always be in want of more.

 

I am happy to be alive and well.  I am happy to have people to love.  I am happy to have people that love me.

XOXO,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment