Friday, November 22, 2013

Trailer Park Trash (or Treasure)



As my youngest son Gavin and I come to a stop sign on the way to daycare he looks out the window and says, “those houses are nice.”  I look out the car window to where he is pointing and I see Shady Grove Trailer Park. 

My thoughts…

We are taught and we learn to see value in some things and not others.  As the years go by it seems that we are putting more and more value into material possessions.  Children my boys ages (4 & 6) have cell phones, tablets and toys that take over the entire house.  (You know what I’m talking about.)

The expectations of children are changing – they are higher – they want the latest and greatest of everything and they are quick to tell us how Johnny Doe at daycare has one and it’s just not fair.

On the other hand, we have all spent entirely too much money on a certain toy that is rarely used, while the kids are totally enthralled and spend hours playing with a cardboard box. 

I give my boys some great toys, but it is more important to me that I give them great experiences, great morals, great characters and a great foundation for them to be successful in life.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder and it is all relative, I hope my boys always find value in the things that bring them true happiness.  

XOXO,
Meg

1 comment:

  1. Food for thought. Thank you. Timely...with Christmas shopping about to go into high gear.

    ReplyDelete