Sunday, December 8, 2013

No One is Born Racist!


I started this post several weeks ago, but I did not finish it.  In honor of Nelson Mandela, in honor of the season I think this piece is timely.

No one is born racist, homophobic, liberal, conservative or full of hate.  Each and every one of us is a blank slate.  However our beliefs are quickly influenced by the people around us, specifically the people closest to us.
 
Some of the most sad, frustrating and infuriating experiences for me are seeing the beautiful, open and loving minds of children being taught to hate.  The hate being taught is not a gift – it is a burden.  These children are not being saved from future hurt by some faceless “bad person”, they are simply learning that entire groups of people are bad and should be categorized as such.  Children’s worlds are narrowed with the thoughts that certain people are innately bad or good, based solely on the color or their skin, their sexual preference or their political or religious beliefs.
 
It is so important to teach our children to love.  They will be happier if they see the good in people.  They will be stronger if they can connect with people.  They will be healthier if they are full of love, not hate.

Be love.  Be kindness.  Be understanding.  Be compassionate.  Be generous.  Be thoughtful.  Be the person you hope your children to become.  That is the greatest gift you could possibly give them.


XOXO,
Megs

5 comments:

  1. Nicely said. I wish love and acceptance to flourish amongst all our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! As do I - at least we can start with our own.

      Delete
  2. The best I have read lately, you put into words what I felt in my heart,I found you searching for this quote from Nelson Mandela, I loved it and I an sharing, this applies now more than ever, and it actually will always apply,we need to teach love and kindness!

    ReplyDelete